Friday, June 4, 2010

[Crockpot] Stuffed Peppers

I have been wanting to try stuffed peppers for a long time but just haven't. This week two different grocery stores in my area had big sales on red and green bell peppers so I decided that this was the week that I would attempt it. I kept looking for a good recipe, but there were so many to choose from. I decided to check on the Food Network's website and see what a few of my favorite chefs had for recipes. I found a good one by Guy Fieri's (Poblano Stuffed with Chorizo, Shrimp and Rice). However, I didn't have a few of the ingredients so I substituted with things that I did have on hand. Here is my variation (see the bottom for an update and instructions for cooking stuffed peppers in the slow cooker):
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 pound Mexican-style chorizo (I did not have chorizo or shrimp, so I substituted ground venison for the two)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeño, minced (I was out and the jalapeño was sorely missed)
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
  • 1 cup short-grain
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup white wine (I used more chicken stock, but here are some other substitutes)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 large, fresh poblano chiles (I used green bell peppers instead but pablano would provide a nice heat)
  • 1 pound shrimp, shelled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup Cheddar, shredded
  • 3/4 cup Jack cheese, shredded
  • I also added the following ingredients:
    • 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (added this to the meat prior to cooking)
    • 1/2 cup medium salsa (I added this with the liquids in step 1)
Directions (for Guy Fieri's recipe)
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil and chorizo, cook for 3 minutes. Add peppers, jalapeno, onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, then add rice and cook until all the grains of the rice are coated with oil. Add all liquids and stir over high heat for 3 minutes, cover and reduce heat to low. Check rice for doneness after 20 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  3. Place poblano chiles on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, cut top 1/4 of chile off and remove ribs and seeds.
  4. When rice is finished cooking, fluff with fork and stir in shrimp. Stuff chiles with 1/6 of the rice mixture. Place all the chiles on baking sheet and place into oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, mix cheeses together and cover pepper with cheese. Broil for 3 minutes to melt and brown the cheese.
Update: After making this dish several times, I have come to the conclusion that pretty much whatever you want to throw in the filling will work. As long as the filling contains the following:

  • beans (black beans, red beans, or chili beans it doesn't really matter)
  • meat (optional but ground meats do tend to work easier)
  • liquid (tomato sauce, salsa. bean puree, leftover chili, etc.)
  • aromatics (onions, garlic, and chopped peppers)
  • rice (I prefer brown rice but white works, too)
  • cheese
A lot of times I end up just throwing a bunch of Tex-Mex leftovers together and using that as a filling. They always come out tasting great. In fact this last time, I combined 1 1/2 cups of leftover chili, 1 lb of brown ground beef, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/2 of homemade bean dip, and 1 cup of brown rice (dry measure then cooked with salt).


I also attempted this recipe Crockpot-style and found it to work out deliciously! You could always prep the peppers ahead of time and then just throw them in the crockpot 4-5 hours before needing to serve them. Here are the instructions.
All stuffed and sitting in their "hot tub".
  1. Prep the filling.
  2. Cut the tops of the peppers off and stuff.
  3. Pour 2/3 cup water into the bottom of a 6 qt. crockpot, place the peppers in the water (as you can see, my crockpot is oval and I can fit 5 LARGE peppers in it). 
  4. Cover and cook in low for 4 hours (if you go longer than that they start to really break down). About 20-30 minutes before serving, sprinkle cheese over the top.
Topped with cheese and ready for the final 20-30 minutes till go time. :o)

Ooey, gooey, melted cheese. Yum!
Sliced open like a four leaf clover and topped with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.
Use tortilla chips as silverware if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment