Friday, November 12, 2010

Harvest Apple Muffins

I have been wanting to attempt an Apple Oat Muffin or Harvest Apple muffin for over a month. I've never had one before but thought the combination would be really good. I finally found a couple of recipes that I will use as a base and then edit them to my own taste. Here are links to the two recipes that I used for reference - Apple Oat Muffins (Good Housekeeping) and Apple Oat Muffins (Hola JalapeƱo blog). If you decide to make either recipe without changes, let me know what you think of them, but here is my version

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup low fat or fat free buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 ripe medium bananas, mashed 
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded apple
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3/4 cup raisins (optional) - I didn't have any this time but will definitely include them next time!
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line 24 muffin wells with paper or cooking spray. Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and oats. Add remaining ingredients and stir until blended.
  2. Divide batter evenly between cups and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove to cooling rack immediately.
Yield: 24 muffins




No comments:

Post a Comment