Friday, December 17, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix in a Jar

I needed a $10 lady's gift for our church's staff Christmas party but have always hated giving the "usual" gifts - store-bought bath baskets, perfume sets, etc. This year I had an epiphany! Why not give a set of jar mixes and some Christmas potholders? I thought it would be a nice homemade alternative to the "usuals". I made up one jar of my "Dreaming of a White Christmas Soup" (I also included a can of the cooked chicken mentioned in the recipe) and another of "Peanut Butter Swirl Chip Cookie Mix" (which I found at www.meals.com and have included below). That way, the person who receives my gift will get both dinner and dessert in a bag. :o)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix in a Jar
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels (peanut butter chocolate swirl chips, white and semi-sweet swirl chips, etc.)
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Place flour mixture in 1-quart jar. Layer remaining ingredients in order listed above, pressing firmly after each layer. Seal with lid and decorate with fabric and ribbon.

RECIPE TO ATTACH:
Preheat oven to 375° F. Beat 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) softened butter or margarine, 1 large egg and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until blended. Add cookie mix and 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional); mix well, breaking up any clumps. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Maybe next year I'll make up some Red Beans and Rice Mix for my gift. Want to create jar mixes from your own favorite recipes? Learn how here.

Want a few more jar mix recipes? Check out some of these sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment