Saturday, April 14, 2012

Banana Pancakes

I needed to use up a bunch of VERY ripe bananas and decided to try my hand at banana pancakes. I happened upon a great (and healthy) recipe at Shef Shanan's. They were a huge success and the kids ate them up faster than I could dish them up! I did triple the original recipe as I was hoping to have extras to freeze.
  • 5 medium bananas
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 7 1/2 tablespoons sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 6 large eggs
  • 3 cups coconut milk (I substituted this for regular milk)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I increased the amount by a couple of tablespoons)
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon (I increased the amount by 50% as I love the flavor of cinnamon)
  • 4 teaspoons vanilla extract (I increased this as well by 1/3)
  • fresh blueberries, optional
Directions
  1. In a stand mixer, thoroughly combine bananas, sugar, eggs, milk, applesauce, and vanilla.
  2. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in wet ingredients until moistened. Don't over-mix as the pancakes with turn out tough.
  3. Ladle 1/4 cup batter onto a greased griddle or skillet for each pancake. Drop a few blueberries (or chocolate chips) on each pancake. Flip when the pancake becomes bubbly on the top. 
  4. Store hot pancakes on a baking sheet in a warm oven while you finish cooking up all the batter.
  5. I serve these topped with applesauce and more blueberries.
This recipe made up 44 - 5" pancakes and each pancake is roughly 60-70 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment