Sunday, September 16, 2012

[$4] Lazy Day Casserole

We'd already started to dig in before I remembered to snap a photo. :o)
I decided  to try something new (and not on the menu) the other day. It has begun to get chilly at night here and I just wanted something warm, comforting, and easy for supper. I'd seen the recipe on Pinterest for lazy Sunday casserole, it looked and sounded delicious (and easy). And as the recipe said, "Casseroles are perfect for cool nights..."

I did vary the seasonings just a bit, and  as the original recipe said, "The vegetables may vary—depending on what’s in my fridge—but somehow there’s always sausage, potatoes and carrots... Just relax, kick back and let your oven do the work!" So that's what I did. :o) By the way, I had gotten all of the ingredients from my garden, or the store for cheap or free so the entire dish came out to roughly $3-$4.
Ingredients:
  • 4 sausages (beef or pork) - I had just gotten 3 packages of mild Italian chicken and pork sausages for $1.65 each on sale after coupons so I used all 5 in the package.
  • 1 pound potatoes, peeled and quartered - I cheated and used a package of  Whole Baby Skin-On Potatoes to save me time (and money since I'd received 5 coupons for free McCain's Purely Potatoes for winning 2nd prize in one of their photo contest) 
  • 1/2 pound baby carrots (so I didn't have to cut or peel them)
  • 1 bell pepper, julienned 
  • 1 large onion, cut into wedges 
  • 1 medium summer squash, cut into bite-sized chunks
  • 4 garlic cloves, slivered
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 3 tbsp horseradish mustard + 3 tbsp water
Directions:
  1. Place everything in a big roasting tray or 9x13 Pyrex pan. 
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the oil, Italian herbs, garlic, and chicken broth. Pour this all over your veggies and mix them up.
  3. Season well with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
  4. Cover the tray with aluminum foil and pop it in a preheated oven. Bake at 450F (225C) for 45 minutes. 
  5. While everything else is in the oven brown the sausages (no need to cook them all the way through as they'll finish cooking in the oven later). Slice each sausage in half. 
  6. After 45 minutes the potatoes and vegetables should be fork tender. If not, cover the tray with the foil and pop it back in the oven for a few more minutes. If they are, place the sausages and summer squash in there and pour the horseradish mixture over everything. Place the tray back in the oven, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
  7. Take it out after 15 minutes, flip over those sausages and ladle some of the juices from the bottom of the pan all over everything. Put it back in the oven for the remaining time, until everything is nice and brown.
  8. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment