Thursday, January 24, 2013

Jalapeno Hot Sauce

A couple of years ago I had an AMAZING pepper crop. I harvested over 150 jalapenos (off 4 plants) and around 75 cayenne peppers (off 2 plants). The only problem was that we couldn't use them up or give them away fast enough so I knew I needed to do some research on what to do with large crops of hot peppers. That is when I stumbled on this recipe for jalapeno hot sauce. My hubby LOVES him some hot sauce and  uses it all the time so I decided that this was the recipe for me! I have made a couple of minor changes (increased the garlic and salt, added cayenne peppers, and added black pepper).
  • 1 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 22 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
  • 3 fresh cayenne peppers, sliced (I added these for a little extra kick so if you'd rather just use only jalapeno you can sub extra jalapenos for the cayenne)
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cups distilled white vinegar
Directions
  1. In a medium sauce pan over high heat, combine oil, peppers, garlic, onion, black pepper and salt; saute for 4 minutes. Add the water and cook for 20 minutes (still on high heat), stirring often. Remove from heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
  2. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth. With the processor/blender running, slowly add the vinegar.
  3. Pour into a sterilized jar with a tight lid. This sauce will keep for 6 months when stored in the refrigerator. 
I bought a dozen 10oz hot sauce jars and filled them all with only 2 batches, so 1 batch would give you around 7 cups. I gave about half away as gifts, you just have to be sure you tell people to put them in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment