Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pear Butter: A Fall Treat

When went to the old house for a few days to check on things and discovered that the pears were ready to be picked. Since we didn't get a chance to spray for bugs and things, they weren't really "for eating" pears but they have lots of flavor so they work well in baking and such. I gathered a decent sized plastic totes' worth and brought them home. I didn't have a lot of time so I knew that I needed something that I could make in the crockpot. That's when I remembered a Pin I'd seen for crockpot apple butter and I figured Pear Butter was a good alternative so off I went to experiment.


  • 24 cups of pears, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger

Directions

  1. Place everything in a 4 qt. crockpot (it will FILL it to the brim), stir, and cover. Let sit all day or overnight. 

  2. Pears are really juicy so I had to let mine simmer for a good hour or two with the lid off until the liquid had reduced enough (it should leave you with about 2/3 of a crockpot full). Once reduced, puree in a blender or using an immersion blend. Then, can as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment