Sunday, October 20, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Sandwiches

One night, I decided that I didn't want to make sub bread for Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. I determined that I would much rather have flatbread, but...I didn't want to run to the store with the kids. Yes, a lot of the time it's just more work than making something from scratch or finding a substitute that I have on hand. So, I determined to find a flatbread recipe. I am so glad I did, too. I LOVE it! It's fairly quick and easy to make and has such a great texture and versatility to it. Anyway, I made up my flatbread on the grill and then decided to try cooking the filling on the grill as well. I pulled out my awesome 14" cast iron skillet on created something delicious! In fact, it
was so delicious that there wasn't anything left over.

  • 2-3 lbs deli roast beef, cut into strips (I just make my own roast beef and then freeze it in 2-3 lb portions) 
  • 1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
  • 1 green pepper, julienned
  • 1 onion, julienned
  • 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
  • fresh ground black pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • a few shakes of Worchestershire sauce (optional)
  • 12 slices provolone (sharp if you can find it)
  • 12 flatbreads
Directions
  1. Prep your flatbread (if making your own). 
  2. In a cast iron skillet, (on the grill or over medium-high heat stove top) melt your butter. When the butter just starts to brown, add the onions, peppers, and roast beef.  
  3. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper, kosher salt and a couple of shakes of Worchestershire (my homemade roast beef has SO much juice to it that I didn't need to add any). Then stir to distribute evenly. Cook till peppers and onions are tender but not too soft. 
  4. Remove from heat, top with provolone slices and cover with foil. Let rest 5 minutes.

  5. Remove foil and place the filling inside your flatbread. Enjoy!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment