Saturday, October 11, 2014

Creamy Cajun Pasta


Tonight I just couldn't decide what to make for supper. It's been a crazy busy last few weeks and I haven't had time to work on October's menu so I had zero ideas. So I did what every mom does when she's out of ideas on what to make for dinner. I took a mental trip through the fridge, freezer, and pantry to see what I had to work with. Then it hit me, I'd throw together something with the smoked sausage, shrimp, veggies, and pasta that I had on hand. I had also just picked up a bottle of cajun seasoning so I decided to wing it and make dinner up as I went. It was a hit with everyone.

You'll need:

  • 1 (14 oz) box Whole wheat penne (well, you could really use any penne, even the gluten free kind)
  • 1/4 cup butter, divided
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 medium bell peppers, cut into 1" strips (I used one red and one green)
  • 1 poblano pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 1 medium zucchini, cut into bit-sized pieces
  • 1 package (14 oz) smoked turkey sausage
  • 1 package (44 count) medium raw Shrimp (I used peeled and deveined shrimp from Aldi)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon McCormick's Cajun seasoning
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, place pasta, 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt, and enough water to cover the pasta by about an inch or two. Cook over medium heat till pasta is al dente. Drain and set aside.
  2. While pasta is cooking, sautee the onions, garlic, and peppers with 2 tablespoons of the butter for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add cherry tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
  3. Toss the cajun seasoning, pepper, salt, zucchini, sausage, and shrimp into the pan. Stir to combine and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cooked pasta and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
  4. Once the butter has melted, add the half and half and 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan. Cook till "sauce" begins to thicken, then sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese, cover, and remove for heat. Serve once the cheese has melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment